YIELD: Makes about 50 hors d’oeuvres
ACTIVE TIME: 35 min
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr
• 1 pound medium shrimp in shell, peeled and deveined
• 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery (3 to 4 ribs)
• 1 cup thinly sliced scallions (about 6)
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 1/4 cup vodka (preferably Absolut Peppar)
• 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons bottled horseradish (not drained), or to taste
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon Tabasco
• Garnish: diced avocado (optional)
Bring a large saucepan of salted water (2 tablespoons salt for 2 quarts water) to a boil.
Add shrimp, then remove from heat and let stand in water until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Cut shrimp into thirds and transfer to a large bowl with celery and scallions.
Whisk together all sauce ingredients, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
Just before serving, stir sauce into shrimp mixture. Spoon 2 shrimp pieces with vegetables and sauce into each soup spoon and arrange spoons on a platter.
Shrimp can be cooked and tossed with vegetables 4 hours ahead, then chilled in a sealed bag. Bring to room temperature, about 30 minutes, before tossing with sauce. Sauce can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.